Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Not to quote the Bible or anything, but...

Ask, and you shall receive.



Life doesn't hand you opportunities, and when it seems like you are being given opportunities right and left- opportunities that just scream "here, I'm yours for the taking"... they never work out. When it feels like an opportunity was stolen from you by some goody-goody with a 4.0, impressive references and plenty of job experience, you have to step back and realize that it was not stolen, as it was never really yours to begin with. An opportunity isn't something that you are worthy of unless you have put in the man hours. The hours digging around for information, contacting random people at the risk of looking like a nut-job with no sense of how the process is supposed to work, the seemingly pointless jobs and networking, these are the things required to truly earn and deserve an opportunity.

And if this opportunity falls through, or is stolen away from me by another goody-goody with a 4.0, impressive references and plenty of job experience... Well, then my theory will be shot to hell, and it will likely mean I am destined to a life of mediocrity.


So really, is it me, or has the term "opportunity" acquired the elusive definition of a stroke of luck? To give someone an opportunity is to give them a chance... and if you're anything like me, you don't give someone a chance until they've done something to earn it. I think I'm done using the word "opportunity" for things that are not necessarily going to happen. I do not have an opportunity for something until the opportunity has actually been given to me.....


And at this point I realize that there's highly likely that none of this makes any sense, so I'm going to stop. Hey, it's finals week, and I can't even be sure of how many hours of sleep I've gotten since last Thursday, since none of it seems to be at night or at one time... so give me a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment